Friday, September 16, 2011

A Tricky Evening

Ugh! So a couple of Troy's cousins were over, and one was saying how he's going to slaughter chickens tomorrow with his son. His son is 5! Gotta desensitize them young. They go pretty often, like once or twice a month lately. My heart hurts. Even the other family members made jokes about his son becoming a serial killer.
Then his other cousin was talking about how "great hunting is, and it's such a rush, and you've gotta try it".
It was a tough evening to get through. I wanted to speak up, but I didn't even know what to say. I know it's late, but had to say something to someone. <sigh>
On the bright side, when Troy told them he's been vegan for two weeks, the hunting one, said "awesome man, keep it up!"
The chicken slaughterer almost fell over from disbelief, but then he said he "just had my first meatless meal tonight, and it was really good and I actually felt good after". (He's dating a vegetarian.) So...little victories?
Sometimes I'm amazed at the amount of animal exploitation in my little community.

No comments:

Post a Comment