Monday, July 18, 2011

My Brain Injury and Being Vegan

Troy and I were in a vehicle collision December 5, 2009. We were t-boned by a speeding stolen vehicle. The people in the other vehicle fled the scene. We were taken out of the car with the jaws of life. Hospital by ambulance. I was in a coma for 8 days. Had to relearn everything we take for granted, like walking, talking, printing, and simple math. I have a severe brain injury, damage to my right frontal lobe and occipital lobe. I was seeing double till April 2010 sometime. Because of my brain injury, I slept about 12 hours at night, plus a 2-3 hour nap during the day. Now I sleep 9-10 hours at night and an hour nap during the day.
Takes me longer to do anything, I have a hard time focusing on something. My memory is also terrible, but always getting better. It wasn't that long ago that I couldn't remember what I did minutes prior. I have many notes and lists. I lost a bunch of weight in the coma, then was tube fed through my nose for a couple weeks. Lost more weight. Once I was able to eat solid foods again, I ate whatever was offered to me. I gained a bunch of weight. Plus fast food was simpler to get than healthy home-made meals. As I got better(and once I stopped seeing double, so I could read) I did a lot of reading about diet, I started with Skinny Bitch. I had no idea it was about being vegan! This is how I became vegan. Not saying that all vegans have had head trauma!
Food is one of the areas I can alter to speed up my recovery. My occupational therapist says diet can change a lot as your brain recovers. I'm also not able to work quite yet(not sure when that will be), I have more time now to practice making different recipes, learning to cook and research nutrition. Plus cooking and working on this stuff is great cognitive therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment